Wednesday, December 28, 2005

license license license....Caru Caru Caru

I got my NJ driving license on 14th Dec. The experience in getting the license was pretty good.
I took my written test on one of the Saturdays, I failed. Its not like an Indian written test. I had to get 40 questions correct out of 50...oops that is 80%..
I was asked to come and take the test the following week...This time I went in with more preparation and strategy...oops Murphy came in my way...The computer system was down in the DMV(RTO)....
I had to wait for more than an hour and the server was still lying down...guess it wanted to enjoy its Saturday...then we were asked to take a paper test...when I saw the question paper, there were only 30 questions and I knew answers for most of them..i almost completed the test...then came the person in the Spanish accent "We gave a wrong question paper.."..oops a test again!!!!
this time it was 50 questions…I somehow managed to pass the test this time..
Happy News : i will get my license without road test
Bad News : Computers are down, so we can't get you now...
I had to go to DMV again after three days…I went there..they made some entries in the comp, and i got a printed plastic card in jus 5 minutes time...these ppl really have a good process and system...

Now I have to get my hands on the car. Last time I drove was more than two years back in India, that too when i took my driving class.
I decided to take three hrs of class here so that I can feel comfortable...I would say I really drove well than I expected. I drove at great speeds when compared to India. Where in India can we drive @ 40 mph in a town. The prime reason here is that the traffic pattern here is homogenous with 99% of the vehicles being four wheelers.
Since most of the cars here are Auto, driving is also so simple.

Should I buy a car or not? A question that has been confusing me for a while..the budget, the insurance cost, my period of stay here...all these factors together have been confusing me a lot...but there is no 12B or 23 C here for commute to office...
Let me see what I'm going to do...

5 comments:

Nil said...

Other factors include:
1. Friendship Cess** - 0.34% of the car cost,
2. Compulsory contribution to Roommates Welfare Fund Pertaining to New Purchases Onsite** - 5.632% of the total cost including the sales tax with that purchase

3. Treat Reimbursement**: Notified after the event ($ to Rs conversion fee included)

4. Appropriate medical Reimbursement to friends and Roommates for purchase of Anti-Acidic drugs like Gelusil etc., etc.

**Decision on any additions or changes to policy rests with the beneficiaries.

Magesh Kumar said...

All these are under the condition that I will buy a car, right?

KP said...

Congrats on u being licensed..btw i heard last time u studied hard for ur blood test but u failed :P

Anonymous said...

Great man! getting license with exam is a good thing. Guess it's better than what we have in India (putting '8') because I feel person who can put 8 can not always become a good driver; don't know why they have it as a deciding criteria. Wish you safe driving!

Aishwarya said...

Hahahaaa! I ended up actually laughing reading ur test after test after test...oh man....sad!!!